What is the reason for so many atrocities against women and girls? Lets see:
1. Female infanticide
2. Gloom on the birth of a girl child
3. Inequality at home
4. All dos and don’ts in the name of sanskars only for girls.
5. Making them feel ashamed about their body and periods.
6. “Its all your fault” being taught right from childhood. Imagine a girl getting whistled at and the society saying, “You must have dressed provocatively, you must have given some signals and so on.” The guilt continues as the girls grow up.
7. In arranged marriage the boy and his family having an upper hand. If its a Yes from the boy, the automatically its perceived that its an Yes from the girl!
8. Taught to make “adjustments” and “keep quiet” in the name of sanskars again.
9. Still in majority of the cases a woman doesn’t have the right to decide when she will marry, when she wants to have a baby, whether she wants to keep the baby or not, how she would want to raise her child, say on home matters as she is still considered as an “outsider” by her marital home.
10. Supposed to work/not work as per people’s discretion.
11. No help in raising children in most cases but always blamed if anything goes wrong.
12. Acid attacks on girls/women if they don’t give in to the male advances, break a relationship, or get married to someone else.
13. No right to property (yes law has provisions but most parents still bestow their son with the property).
14. No right to lit pyre or perform last rites of parents (many women do it now but have to fight for it).
15. Parents saying its not your home and in-laws saying the same!
16. Sexual harassment, gender discrimination, trying to prove again and again in workplace. No help from anyone in managing home and children whether working/not working in office.
17. Still being “blamed” for birth of girl child. Ever heard of X and Y chromosome of the father deciding the child’s gender?
18. Women judged on the basis of their dress, drinking, smoking, interaction with boys, work shifts.
19. Women/girl used as pawns to take revenge. The recent Kathua case and many such cases are the examples.
20. Domestic violence, both emotional and physical still rampant in so-called educated homes too. A slap or gaali is still okay as women are asked to “adjust” and “talk” to the husband when he is in a “good mood.”
21. Girls taught household chores and not the boys (not in all homes but still there).
22. Girls/women shamed about their body, complexion, height, looks.
23. Money can be spent for dowry and marriage but not the girl’s education.
24. If a girl raises voice or is independent, she is judged all the time and said to be overbearing and dominating.
The list goes on and on. We can blame the government for the lax laws or no stringent punishment but the basic problem is with the society’s treatment of its daughters. Till the time the girls are respected, they will be treated as liabilities and bodies only.
Let’s just not raise voice against atrocities, let’s also raise voice against the way most girls are treated still..