Becoming a mother is one of the most joyous and memorable event in any woman’s life. The would-be-mom goes through mixed emotions of happiness, excitement, fear, anxiousness, etc., especially when she is expecting her first child.
Unless there are any medical conditions associated with pregnancy or before pregnancy or the doctor has advised bed-rest and other precautions, pregnancy needs to be enjoyed, taken normally and not treated as any disease. I remember during both my pregnancies I was working till the last day, doing all the household chores, and enjoyed my pregnancies thoroughly.
Few tips for a smooth pregnancy and taking this phase as normally as one can:
- First and foremost, pregnancy should not be taken as an illness. Yes, the woman’s body goes through a lot of physical and hormonal changes but unless there are severe medical conditions where the gynecologist advises total bed-rest, take certain precautions and medicines, pregnancy should be taken normally.
- Some women have severe nausea and vomiting during the first trimester, hyperemesis gravidarum. She should consult the doctor and follow him/her.
- During pregnancy, the expecting mother should diligently follow the gynecologist. There is no harm in following advice from the elderly or experienced mothers but only the doctor is the best person to understand about her condition.
- Eat nutritious food which includes all food groups but do not eat excessively. Some people suggest that a mother should eat for two people, but the fact is whatever healthy diet the mother takes for herself is sufficient for the baby. Also during this phase the mother shouldn’t diet or bar any food group like fats. Like all other nutrients, fats are also required for the development of the baby.
- As per the doctor’s advise, folic acid and calcium should be taken regularly. Never stop any supplement on your own. Also in certain conditions like gestational diabetes, high blood pressure, preeclampsia doctor’s prescribe few medicines which should be continued. They won’t harm the baby.
- Continue working in the office, in the house as before. Just take care not to haste too much, not to bend as the tummy grows bigger. Take rest in between. Seek the help and support of colleagues, family and friends whenever required. This is the best time to get pampered by everyone.
- Go for the scans and Doppler as and when indicated by the doctor. This monitors the baby’s growth and development.
- Indulge in prenatal yoga, walk and light exercise after the gynecologist gives a go-ahead. This helps the would-be-mom to keep fit and energetic.
- Never ignore the slightest of discomfort. It might simply be gas or heartburn or later false alarms yet visit the doctor immediately if the mom feels any issue.
- Often women worry about the mode of delivery; whether it would be normal or cesarean. I always say that one cannot predict anything till the last date. Of course, every mom would want a normal delivery but when it comes to certain emergent conditions its best to get a C-section done. After all, nothing is more important than the mother and baby’s life. I myself had both my kids via C-section and I am perfectly fine and so are my kids who are grown up now!
Pregnancy is a phase that needs to be enjoyed and cherished. Feel the kicks, hear the heartbeats via Doppler, see the little one moving in the scan..